I know, I know. I am late. Graduation, thesis defenses, grading projects, senior shows, and finals week took more time than I had anticipated. I had to push this post for when I got all that done. And now that it is done, here we go!
Let’s start with the obvious and shameless promotion. This coming Sunday is Mother’s Day. Do you have a gift for your Mom yet? Check out my artwork. Not prints, but one of a kind artwork done in watercolor paper with ink, watercolor, pen, and markers. It features my lettering and my poems. In other words, I am not selling things with other people’s words but mine. Take a look here: Well Chosen Letters at Etsy. And while you are at it, here are some images of my work:
Now that some shameless self promotion is out-of-the-way, let’s go ahead to our normal monthly list of design links, shall we?
Did you know that Josef Albers was also a photographer? Neither did I. But a book has been published showcasing his photography and it looks amazing! Check out this book review by the New York Times: Josef Albers: Art to Open Eyes.
Design vs/and Art
Dave Snyder: Art is not Design: Excellent insights from designer Dave Snyder on why design and art are not the same thing.
An article after my heart: The Messy Art Of UX Sketching.
- Who takes time to reminisce about what the web looked like 20 years ago? Not many, I would guess. But it is important to see how things have developed. Take a look at this article: 64 Highlights of the Internet’s Early Years, from the First Webcam to a Net Art Gallery.
- Some people associate Silicon Valley with Steve Jobs. But, well, it was there before. Read this: An Abbreviated History of Design in Silicon Valley.
Ever wonder how you can set up your own branded email through Google? Read this: Setting Up Gmail with Your Branded Domain For Free.
- Read how Google managed to integrate non-Latin (Pan-CJK) characters in one font by Ken Lunde. Read the article How Google And Adobe Solved A Decades-Old Typographic Conundrum.
- An Italian typeface that is considered the Italian version of Helvetica? Yes, please! Read: Recta Is A Timeless Revival Of The “Italian Helvetica”.
- Ever thought you would see the day when houses were built by using algorithms? Well, read This Company Will Design Your House For Less Than The Price Of Your Phone.
- Apple designing houses? Well, you may want to read this: This Is How The Apple Store’s Architects Design A House.
- A beautiful article about the relationship between David Kelley and architect Ettore Sottass in designing Kelley’s house. Read One House, Two Opinionated Designers, and the Joy of Collaboration.
- Emojis as part of a building’s architecture? Indeed. Read this: This Building Has Emoji Gargoyles, And They’re Brilliant.
Business | Productivity | Career
- Need business forms, resources? Check Free Business Guides without the Business Speak.
- Another article on the little things you can do with Gmail: 13 Gmail Hacks That’ll INSTANTLY Maximize Your Productivity.
- What makes a great designer? It turns out that is pretty much a lot of soft skills. Read this From Frog, 3 Myths About What Makes A Designer Great. I love this quote from Inbal Etgar:
Young designers are usually overly focused on their talent and hard skills, tending to overlook the role positive attitude and grit play in their success…
- Need to find stock photos? Read this article 24 websites to find original free pics.
- Ever wonder how to select those pesky things in photos to isolate them? Watch this: 10 Tips And Tricks For Making Difficult Selections In Photoshop.
- Ever thought you could design shoes? It turns out that you may be able to learn! Read: The One Thing I Never Thought to DIY (And Now Can’t Wait to Try).
- Flute beatboxing? Yes, please. Watch this: Flute Beatboxing.
Advice on how to compose photos? Always good advice! Read: 12 Essential Composition Guidelines That Every Photographer Should Use.